Sunday, April 7, 2013

Surrender

We leave tomorrow for Haiti and what feels weird and different this time is packing.  I'm not sure why. I think a big part of it is that we just moved into our new house a week ago and we are leaving - the unsettled kind of leaving and maybe that feels weird.

There are so many thoughts going through my mind... this being my 5th or 6th time to Haiti, I don't feel anxious about what to expect or how our day to day lives are going to unfold because I've learned that Bree Time does not equal Island Time :)  Life is different there and part of me really looks forward to the slower pace, the "you don't need a watch" mentality, the "pa gen pwoblem" (no problem) lifestyle.  I like the forced slowdown.  Our pace here is FAST and exhausting.  Haiti's pace is not.  I'm thankful for that yet get frustrated by that all at the same time.

I think what feels different about this trip is that it's been a while and it might again be a while until we are able to go back.  The gap feels greater.  I know nothing will have changed and everything will have changed all at the same time.  One thing I am certain of - this snuggly, ornery little soon-to-be niece of mine will be getting LOADS of quality auntie time.

I know that my expectations for how the trip will go are in reality NOTHING like how the trip will go, so tonight I commit to surrender my expectations and allow God to start with a clean slate on this journey - to do whatever work HE would like to do in the community of Montrouis and in the hearts of our team members, myself included.  There is a surrender that is happening even now that will transform us in the moments when we need him most and I am thankful for that call to "let it go" even before we arrive.  I know that He WILL surprise us by making beautiful things out of the brokenness.

Gungor - "Beautiful Things" 

All this pain
I wonder if I'll ever find my way
I wonder if my life could really change at all 
All this earth
Could all that is lost ever be found
Could a garden come up from this ground at all

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us 
All around
Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos, life is being found in You

You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us

*photo cred: Todd Pulliam (Haiti 2011)

Please pray for us... we will update here as often as possible.

We say Mesi Senye (Thank you Lord) for the chance to do this & be part of God's work across the globe.

So grateful,

Bree - (Jarred, Elise, Jenny, Melba, Tiffany & Parkher)



1 comment:

  1. We will pray for this adventure and that God will make Beautiful Things out of everyone there! Love you guys! Love Auntie Deb and Uncle Larry in NM

    ReplyDelete