Saturday, March 19, 2011

Life-Change

Here is an excerpt from a post Dr Kerry wrote early this year... in it, he talks about some of the kids in the orphanage.  
Niaca and Kimberly- sisters we found in a tent village and now live in the mission
Jean Moi- orphan living on the beach 
Jean Patrick- orphan who's parents were murdered 
Justice- our baby we are adopting that was abandoned at 3 weeks

Kobe- handicapped teenage orphan that was a street kid
Adelson- street kid orphan
Wilna- nearly blind orphan that had never been to school and now is top of her class
Kevin- Cerebral palsey 3 year old orphan that was going to be thrown into the sea
Michelet- handicapped 3 year old orphan with megalocephally that is finally being taught to sit up and speak
Jefnica and Gatina- sisters found in the fishing village 
You see the circumstances were only used to teach us that the only things that really matter are people.  Our highlights from 2010 are the people that we got to invest our lives into.  In return, they have enriched our lives in ways we never would have dreamed.  God has shown us that people are our inheritance in the promised land and we are grateful for such revelation. 
I remember reading this when it was written and thinking "how neat."  This has a COMPLETELY different meaning for me now.  I know these kids.  I've heard their stories, I've talked to them, I've put bandaids on their owies, I've snuggled them to sleep.  
They are more than just names. I now know that Jean Patrick has an incredible heart for worship and loves to sing, even though he's embarrassed sometimes :)  I know that Kobe wants to be a pastor and is a faithful friend.
I know that Michelet can capture your heart with just one glance and we need to find a way to get him surgery.
I know that Jefnica & Gatina sometimes get to go visit their mom in the fishing village, but that the orphanage is the best place for them right now. 
I know that Naica & Kimberly have an American family trying to adopt them and they will finally have a "home." 

I know that there's no little girl that can steal your heart as quickly as Justice & I can't imagine someone wanting to abandon her.  
But had a I not made the choice to get out of my comfort zone and show up in Haiti, they would still be empty names on a blog that I read when I have time. Instead they've changed my life and they've taught me that giving of yourself to invest in other people is the only thing that really matters in this life.  My heart is invested in this ministry and I'm committed to doing all I can to help Kerry & Joy save lives & make disciples.  I'm learning to make on-purpose life choices that will allow God to use me more and more.  Lord, continue to send me, use me & change me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment